IF YOU: LISTEN WITH RESPECT... UNDERSTANDING, TRUST, LEARNING, A NEW PERSPECTIVE GROWING, RESOLVING ADAPTING WILL RESULT.
- Establishes a model for listening with respect, A knowing that each person will be heard.
- Establishes a verbal territory for each participant, a sense of potential equity
- Requires access to both the left and the right brain, engaging the “whole brain.
- Allows apprehensions and hopes for the meeting to be expressed.
- Allows participants to express hidden agendas (like leaving early, a flat tire, a sickness, etc.)
- Brings people into the “here and now”
- Provides initial information to the facilitator.
Worst / Best / Possibility
Worst Outcomes: These are feared future outcomes, often based on past experience, with a presently experienced emotion and physical reaction. When people believe them, they affect their perceptions, beliefs, values and strategies. They tend to be self-fulfilling prophecies when strongly held.
Best Outcomes: These are hoped for future outcomes, sometimes not previously experienced, but intensely imagined, with a presently experienced emotion and physical response. When people believe them, they affect their perceptions, beliefs, values and strategies. They tend to be self-fulfilling prophecies when strongly held.
Possibility Thinking: An acknowledgment that both worst and best outcomes are present and inherent in each moment, up to, and often after the event. This balanced view allows the movement toward desired outcomes.
- What is the situation or experience?
- How do you feel about it?
- What did you learn that will…
- make you successful?
- resolve the conflict?
- resolve the impasse?
A Consensus Process
- What is the situation? How do I feel about it?
- What are my worst possible outcomes of the situation?
- What are my best possible outcomes of the situation?
- What beliefs, behaviors, strategies, and actions will foster my best possible outcomes?
- What are two things I am grateful for?
- What are two things I am excited about?
- What are two things I enjoy?
- Who do I love? Who loves me?
- What is the richness in my life?
(Answer these questions at least once a day for a month and you will find a new level of appreciation of life.)